Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Watson House Wednesday, #11: Jenn's Spaghetti



Well, life is still crazy busy, and I missed last week, but I wanted to jump back in this week.  :)

Spaghetti is admittedly one of my favorite foods on the planet.  Seriously, before I could even use a fork, I was shoving it into my face.  It's not something that I've made very recently, but it is something I've made often over the years.  It was one of the first things my mother taught me to cook.  Just the smell of those special ingredients being combined is like comfort food kitchen magic to me!

Spaghetti is a food that is variable, versatile, and easily adjustable to taste.  You can use different meats, different herbs, and different additions to the sauce.  After many versions, many experiments, and many years, this is the current favorite version at our house.

Jenn's Spaghetti
1 pound ground beef
4 cloves of garlic (or 2 tsp garlic powder)
1 medium onion
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms
2 tbsp fresh chopped oregano (or 2 tsp dried)
2 tbsp fresh chopped basil (or 2 tsp dried)
1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes (drained)
1 small can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1 can condensed tomato soup
2-4 tbsp red wine

1 small package spaghetti noodles
2 tbsp olive oil

In a large skillet or saute pan, lightly brown ground beef.  Drain, and return beef to skillet.  Chop garlic, onion, and herbs, wash and slice mushrooms.  Add these to the beef, and cook over medium heat.*  Once the onions and mushrooms have cooked most of the way through, add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, tomato soup, and wine.  Heat through, stirring occasionally, then turn down to simmer.

Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions, except add the olive oil to the water before adding the noodles.  Once the pasta is cooked and drained, stir the sauce, remove from heat, and serve.  Add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese if you like!

*Since my daughter has developed an aversion to mushrooms, I now saute these with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic.  Then anyone who wants them can add them later, as they like.

No comments:

Post a Comment